Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Natural Dryer Sheet Alternative

While making the transition to a toxin free home I have gone room-by-room making changes. Recently I threw away all the candles and plug-in room scents. I have not used them in almost a year, so WHY was I holding on to them again? (Hello, my name is Jessica and I'm a hoarder.) All these "good smelling" products have no place in a healthy home. They are pollutants that can cause lung damage and can aggravate conditions like asthma and COPD, etc.

About 6 months ago I ordered wool dryer balls from Amazon. I had spent a day making my own laundry soap and had cleaned and organized my laundry room. The whole room was calming to me. I surveyed it with pride- until I saw that bright green box of dryer sheets. WHY had I gone to the effort to get rid of the toxins in my laundry and not even had a thought about replacing these guys? Not only are they full of toxins and artificial scents, but they cause buildup on clothing that can shorten the life of your wardrobe. (Not to mention your dryer) I was not going to continue to add to my family's toxin load from such a simple source I could control.


How Do Wool Dryer Balls Work?
Dryer balls are felted wool and their gentle friction against your clothing as they tumble in the dryer softens it. In addition, the dryer balls lift and separate clothes, getting heat below and between the clothing, resulting in faster drying. Dryer balls are also reusable, so they save you money!

We are only a family of 3, but I am one of the crazy ones who chooses to cloth diaper. I end up doing at least one load of laundry per day and I usually use six dryer balls per load (unless my son runs off with one of the "BALLS!") My typical routine is to dry my clothes until they are damp and then I pull out a couple of dryer balls and put 3-4 drops of essential oil on them. I toss them back in and finish the drying process. My clothes come out smelling SO good. My favorites to use are Purification, Lemongrass, Thieves (depending on the time of year) or any citrus oil.

TIP:
Dryer balls are great at combating static cling, but if you are experiencing any static, try using white vinegar in your wash where you would normally put fabric softener (we don't use anything but vinegar.) Not only does this help to get your clothes clean, it also helps to significantly reduce static cling.

Want to read more about essential oils? Check out our website to help you or contact us here.

~Grammy's Essentials Team
www.grammysessentials.com

The information contained in this blog is for educational purposes only and as a guideline for your personal use. It should not be used as a substitution for medical counseling with a health professional. The contributors and authors do not accept responsibility for such use.

No comments:

Post a Comment