Friday, October 23, 2015

Easy DIY Toner and After Shave

My husband started using a safety razor about a year ago. It is a bit old fashioned (aka, cool) and in the end costs less than the disposable plastic razors he has used in the past. One morning he asked me to go online and order him some replacement blades. I didn't stop there. I saw all the awesome accessories I could buy him and admittedly, I went a bit overboard. He ended up with a badger hair brush, sandalwood shaving soap (which we put essential oils into) a razor holder and an awesome wooden soap dish. Luckily, it was his birthday month, so I was able to get a great gift for the hardest man on earth to buy for (maybe for the first time since we have been together).

Not only do these things look fantastic sitting on our counter, but they serve a greater purpose in our lifestyle. We have been slowly trying to find ways to replace the toxic / harmful chemicals in our home with more natural solutions. (for more on that, read this post) The shaving cream was on my list of products to get rid of. This was a no brainer move. The only thing left to replace in his shaving kit was his after shave / cologne. This, I made in about 3 minutes, and it is FANTASTIC. We both love it. (Yes, I use his after shave as my toner.)

Here is my recipe:

1 Glass Amber Bottle
Witch Hazel
Frankincense Essential Oil
Lavender Essential Oil
Cedarwood Essential Oil
Elimi Essential Oil
Optional:
Pine Essential Oil
Evergreen Essence Essential Oil

Directions:

Fill bottle about 3/4 full with Witch Hazel.
Add about 10 drops each Lavender and Elimi.
Add about 15 drops Frankincense
Add about 15 to 20 drops Cedarwood
Optional:
For a great manly scent, add 1-2 drops each Pine and Evergreen Essence. When mixed with the Cedarwood, it is wonderful.

I do not use it as my toner when I add these oils. I love the smell on him, but I do not want to smell like a walk in the woods. I prefer a crisper, lighter sent. Many times I use purification as my perfume. I just dab a bit on the pulse points and go. I get a lot of compliments on my 'perfume'. Grapefruit is another favorite of mine.

Play with the amounts until the recipe is right for you. You don't have to stick to these oils. If you have a favorite, or you are trying to accomplish something specific with an oil, add it to your toner. That is the beauty of making these products yourself, you are in control.

Want to read more about essential oils? Check out our website to help you or contact us here.

~Grammy's Essentials Team
www.grammysessentials.com

The information contained in this blog is for educational purposes only and as a guideline for your personal use. It should not be used as a substitution for medical counseling with a health professional. The contributors and authors do not accept responsibility for such use.

No comments:

Post a Comment