Friday, October 23, 2015

Frankincense

I never really thought about Frankincense as anything more than a gift the Wise Men brought to baby Jesus. It just wasn’t something I gave much thought to at all except at Christmas time. Then, I discovered essential oils and I began to understand the significance of that ancient gift.

In the Middle East, Frankincense is known as the ͞holy anointing oil͟ and has been used in religious ceremonies for thousands of years. It has been valued as more precious than gold in ancient times with only the very wealthy having it in their possession. Frankincense is one of the earliest mentioned resins used for its medicinal purposes and is referenced in the Bible over 52 times.

When I opened my first bottle of Frankincense, I have to admit, baby Jesus and Christmas were not what the scent made me think about. It was more like an old museum filled with dusty books which was not my favorite aroma so I pretty much just left it in the box not knowing what to do with it.

Wow, has that changed. I started researching some health issues I was experiencing and how I could use my essential oils to promote better wellness, and Frankincense kept coming up. Need something to support healthy skin? Frankincense. Need something to support mental health? Frankincense. Need something to support the immune system? Frankincense. The list goes on. I was amazed at how powerful and versatile this little bottle was and understood now why it was once considered more valuable than gold.

Frankincense is now one of those oils I use every day. It is in my DIY wrinkle cream and after 20+ years as a Mary Kay consultant, I have ditched that entire product and am using solely my own recipes with Frankincense as a key ingredient and honestly, my skin never felt or looked better!

Here is the recipe I use the most. You can always tweak it to your own liking. This amount will last me almost 6 months.
4 oz jar (short wide-mouth canning jar works great) ($1)
Dye/fragrance free moisturizing base (Cetaphil or Burt’s Bees are my favorites) ($2-$20 depending on what you buy)
16 drops Frankincense or Sacred Frankincense ($4.48)
12 drops Sandalwood ($12.72)
14 drops Geranium ($2.24)
12 drops Lavender ($1.08)
10 drops Helichrysum ($9.60)

This is my daily routine. I wash my face with my Norwex facial cloth and then apply this cream. I don’t even wear make-up much anymore because my skin looks so great. That is saying something for a Grammy over 50. I have a couple of others recipes I use as well, including one for a night cream, but that is a whole other blog post.

Yes, Frankincense (and some of the other oils) might seem a little expensive at first, but when you sit down and put a pencil to it, I am spending $33.12 on a jar of wrinkle cream that will last me six months. Compared to the MK I had been using and paying over $50 for a half ounce that lasted me one month, what I am using is a bargain! I can make multiple jars of moisturizer out of one bottle of Frankincense if I ONLY used it for that purpose. Frankincense was a gift worthy of a King, but I am so thankful that I discovered it and it is available to this humble servant.

Want to read more about essential oils? Check out our website to help you or contact us here.

~Grammy's Essentials Team
www.grammysessentials.com

The information contained in this blog is for educational purposes only and as a guideline for your personal use. It should not be used as a substitution for medical counseling with a health professional. The contributors and authors do not accept responsibility for such use.

No comments:

Post a Comment