Thursday, October 15, 2015

There's Something About That Name

I have been struggling with anxiety lately. It seems everywhere I turn I am faced with something that makes me curdle inside. There are times I find myself wanting to just escape to a dark room to be alone and just breathe. I was at a training for the raindrop technique (I will write about that soon) and I got to be the one everyone practiced on. (YEAH! Free Massage, yes please.) One of the things the instructor told me to do was to breathe deeply. She said that often times people, especially moms, do not actually take the time to breathe deeply. They go for days without taking calming deep breaths. Since getting this advice, I have tried to practice breathing deeply a couple times a day. No, it does not take my anxiety away, but it clears my brain fog enough to help me make it another couple of hours.

Last night I fell asleep on the couch, which I never like doing, then after I moved to the bed I had a fitful night full of bad dreams. I would wake from these dreams with a feeling of being completely alone and helpless. My heart was pounding, and I felt like a trapped animal. It was a feeling of impending doom and I wanted to call everyone I know and make sure they were alright. I was tempted to get my baby from his room so I could cuddle him and make sure he was breathing. After laying there for a while, I had to nurse said baby, and he decided that 4:15 was a great time to be awake. After trying to get him to sleep I gave up and we moved to the play room. He did his thing while I spent some time in the Word. I read a devotion and some scripture, and I prayed over some of the things in my life that are causing me stress and anxiety. I know these things are great for me to do, but in the busy life I lead, I often find myself going for long periods of time and then realize I have not been reading the bible, or even praying like I should. I sing hymns and I worship in small ways, but I have failed to dig deeper since becoming a mom.

It is amazing how the Holy Spirit knows exactly what we need when we need it. When I woke from my horrible night, the Song, There's Something About That Name kept going through my mind I ran through the lyrics and sang them quietly. I sang it to my son trying to quiet him. Honestly, I am not always a fan of talking during songs, but this monologue by Gloria Gaither spoke to me. How encouraging and appropriate for my anxiety. The devotion I chose this morning came, I am sorry to say, from a google search. There are a lot of great options on the internet, and I was not going to be really picky, I just knew I needed to be in the Word. I clicked on the link that took me to this devotion{10.15.15}. I have read these passages before, but they were just what I needed this morning, and the story about Oswald Chambers during WWI was encouraging. The scripture being focused on was Proverbs 3:1-8. If you attended Sunday School even a few times, you learned Proverbs 3:6, "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths," but the part that I needed was the forgotten part after that verse, the one we didn't hear as much. Proverbs 3:7-8 reads, "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones."

Here I am, doing everything I can do to help my family be naturally healthy. I have rid my home of toxins and I am protecting my son from environmental factors that could harm him. I am trying to make healthy meals, and I am using and distributing essential oils to help in so many of these areas. All the while, I thought I was doing everything right, but I had left out the key ingredient, God. He loves ME he cares about me and my family. Believing in Him, following his commandments and trusting his timing is not only good for your spirit, but for your physical body. "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." (Matt. 4:4)

There is POWER in the name of Jesus. Allowing Him into my daily life, inviting him to lead me and trusting him is even more beneficial than that breath of fresh air. It is more than a quick fix to get me through the day. I still have the responsibility to take care of my family, to protect them, to provide for them, etc. But I can let go of the unknown. I don't have to live on the edge of an anxiety attack to be a good mom. I just have to do the best I can and trust that God has my back for the rest. "Kings and Kingdoms will all pass away, but there's something about that Name."

Have you had similar struggles? What encouraged you in your struggle / anxiety? We would love to hear from you in the comments.


~Grammy's Essentials Team
www.grammysessentials.com

No comments:

Post a Comment